menting instructions, with special attention devoted to
technical manuals describing the item.
(1) Evidence of spontaneous ignition of fusee.
(2) All observations of a above.
4. Size of Sample. The number of fusees required to
d. All instances of any of the following:
make up a representative sample from a lot for a
Nonstandard marking. State whether mis" leading,
surveillance function test is as follows:
incomplete, or unidentifiable.
For check investigation .......................as directed
(2) The occurrence of any of the nonstandard
For classification investigation ......................... 60
conditions or malfunctions classified as defects in
For confirmation investigation .............as directed
5. Sample Selection. Sample fusees will be selected
(3) The occurrence of any nonstandard
in accordance with the provisions of SB 742-1 with the
conditions or malfunctions not classified as defects in
exception that not more than one carton of ten fusees
may be selected from any one box.
responsible personnel merits consideration.
6. Preparation for test. a. Number the fusees from
9. Classification of defects. Defects observed during
each carton, 1 through 10 and identify them as to the box
inspection and testing will be classified in accordance
from which they were drawn.
b. Sample fusees will be prepared for test in three
phases as follows:
and 11 will
be fully described and reported with the
(1) Phase I-burning time and burning quality
test-dry. Fusees 1 through 10 from cartons No. 1 and
No. 2 are to be tested in this phase. No preparation is
10. Nonfunctioning defects.
(2) Phase II-burning time and burning quality
(1) Missing bonnet on cap.
test-wet. Fusees 1 through 10 from cartons No. 3 and
(2) Missing spike.
No. 4 are to be tested in this phase. The cartons (with
(3) Spike excessively loose.
seals unbroken) will be immersed in water to a depth of 6
(4) Missing tear strip.
to 9 inches for 24 hours.
(5) Torn tear strip.
(6) Body tube damaged.
functioning test. Fusees 1 through 10 from cartons No.
(7) Marking misleading.
5 and No. 6 are to be tested in this phase. The fusees
(8) Marking illegible.
(which may be removed from cartons) will be exposed
continuously to a temperature of 140 + 10F for 72
11. Functioning defects.
hours and then tested as soon as possible.
Spontaneous ignition of the fusee
7. Test Procedure. Each fusee will be ignited by
removing the bonnet (paper covering) over the cap with
(1) Failure to ignite.
the aid of the tear strip, and striking the match head with
(2) Chimney in such a manner as to materially
the striking composition on the outer surface of the cap.
obscure the flame.
The fusee will then be placed in an inclined position in
(3) Burning time is less than 15 minutes.
the ground or in a holder and allowed to burn out.
(4) Burning time is more than 28 minutes.
8. Observations. All observations of nonstandard
conditions and malfunctions, especially those not
(1) Burning time is less than 18 but not less than
11 below, should
in full detail.
(2) Burning time is more than 25 but not more
Pictorial evidence of nonstandard conditions, whenever
than 28 minutes.
pertinent and practical should be included.
(3) Failure to burn with proper color.
observations to be recorded are as follows:
(4) Failure to burn with brilliant flame.
a. Phase I.
Color and intensity of illuminant
12. Evaluation. Functional and nonfunctional codes will
(chimney, excessive smoke, etc.).
be recommended in accordance with the following
b. Phase II.
criteria and the interim condition code will be assigned in
(1) Evidence of carton leaking (for information).
accordance with SB 700-1300-1. A lot will be classified
(2) All observations of a above.
Condition Code J and reported if one critical defect is