3-62. TRACTION MOTOR ASSEMBLY (cont)
64. Install two guide bolts into inner bearing housing (45) to aid in lining up bearing housing and commutator end cover
65. Use a feeler gauge and check internal radial clearance of bearing. Pass feeler gauge between rollers and inner
race. Maximum radial clearance is 0.003 inch (0.08 mm).
66. Fill lower half of grease chamber in bearing cap (35) with grease.
67. Install gasket (36) and bearing cap (35) on shaft and secure with six lockwashers (34) and bolts (33).
Install lifting eye on pinion end of shaft.
Components of this locomotive are heavy and may be awkward to handle. Use correct lifting procedures,
indicated lifting devices, and/or assistance from other personnel to avoid injury.
69. Use a suitable lifting device and slowly lower armature assembly (46) into traction motor frame (47). Check that
guide bolts line up holes in gasket (44) and commutator end cover (39). Check that punch marks on commutator
end cover (39) line up with punch marks on traction motor frame (47).
Install six lockwashers (38) and bolts (37).
71. Remove guide bolts and secure armature (46) to traction motor frame (47) with eight lockwashers (32) and bolts
72. Turn armature (46) by hand and check that it is free.
73. Install two screws (66) and brushes (67). Refer to TM 55-2210-223-12 for brush adjustment.
74. Install traction motor cover (30), four lockwashers (29), and bolts (28).
75. Install two traction motor covers (27).
76. Install pinion gear (21) as follows:
a. Cover shaft with a light coat of Prussian blue.
b. Install pinion gear on armature shaft and give it a quick push to set it against the traction motor cover.
c. Lightly drive a wedge between pinion gear and traction motor cover and remove pinion gear.