3-64. COUPLER AND DRAFT GEAR (cont)
CLEANING, INSPECTION, AND REPAIR (cont)
14. Inspect coupler assembly by the following:
a. Magnaflux pivot pin. Replace pin if cracked or if diameter is worn below 1-11/16 inches (42.9 mm).
b. Inspect remaining parts of coupler assembly for cracks, breaks, or other damage. Replace defective parts.
15. Inspect draft gear pocket on locomotive underframe for cracks or rough surfaces. Remove cracks by grooving,
welding, and grinding smooth.
Assemble yoke (8) by the following:
a. Use a press and compress plates of draft gear assembly (18) to 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) less than yoke pocket.
Install draft gear assembly (18) in yoke (8).
Install 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) metal spacers between inside yoke (8) surface and follower plates (19). Remove 1/2-
inch (12.7 mm) metal spacers between two follower plates and four nuts (20) and lockwashers (21).
17. Assemble coupler (7) by the following:
a. Install knuckle lock (17), lock lifter assembly (16), and knuckle thrower (15).
b. Install knuckle (14) and secure with knuckle pin (13) and cotter key (12).
Components of this locomotive are heavy and may be awkward to handle. Use correct lifting procedures,
indicated lifting devices, and/or assistance from other personnel to avoid injury.
18. Position yoke (8) on carrier plate (9).
19. Use suitable lifting device and raise yoke (8) and carrier plate (9) to underframe draft gear pocket. Secure with six
bolts (10) and locknuts (11).