2-32. OPERATION IN EXTREME COLD (cont)
d. Batteries. Have unit maintenance personnel check the electrolyte and add distilled water (item 4, app E) if
necessary to 1/8 inch (3.2 mm) below the bottom of the cover filling tubes. Check and add water just before
the locomotive goes into service, so the water will have time to mix with the electrolyte before locomotive
e. Starting. Heating of jacket water and crankcase oil or use of extra battery capacity may be required to assist
starting in extreme cold. Connect water jacket heater cable as follows:
(1) Connect female connector to water jacket heater receptacle.
(2) Connect male connector to 240 V ac power source.
(3) Heat water until water temperature reaches 50°F (lOC).
f. Engine shutdown.
(1) If the engine is to be shut down and the cooling system is not adequately protected with antifreeze
solution, the entire system will have to be drained.
(2) When the locomotive is to be shut down for an extended period in freezing weather, have unit
maintenance personnel check the specific gravity of the batteries (para 4-30). Fully charged batteries
can withstand temperatures as low as -35°F (-37°C). Take hydrometer readings frequently.
2-33. OPERATION IN DUSTY OR SANDY AREAS
Operation in dusty or sandy areas requires more frequent cleaning and servicing of filters to prevent
dust entering engine, air compressor, generator, traction motors, and fuel system. Dust buildup on
major components increases chance of entry into internal areas and interferes with adequate
cooling. Pay particular attention to the following service areas:
(1) Refer to LO 55-2210-224-12. Shorten service interval as required.
(2) Clean areas around lubrication fittings, fill ports, dip sticks, breathers, and filters before servicing or
(3) Have unit maintenance personnel service engine oil filter and fuel filters frequently.
b. Cooling System.
(1) Keep radiator and radiator grille clean and free of dirt and debris.
(2) Check hose connections for leaks.
(3) Check for debris, dust, and sand clogging radiator fins and radiator grille.