2-40. TOWING LOCOMOTIVE DEAD (cont)
(6) Set double-ported cutout cock (7) to OPEN position.
(7) Release handbrake (8).
b. If locomotive is to be towed dead in a train, set the controls as follows:
(1) Place the throttle handle (1) to IDLE
position and reverser handle (2) in
NEUTRAL position and remove from
(2) Place automatic brake valve (3) to
(3) Place independent brake valve (4) to
RELEASE position and remove handle.
(4) Place cutoff pilot valve (5) to OUT
(5) Set all circuit breakers and switches to
(6) Place double-ported cutout cock (7) to
(7) Place dead engine valve (6) to OPEN
maintenance personnel set safety valve
on distributing valve to 25 psi (172 kPa)
and connect brake pipe hoses only.
(9) Couple front and rear brake pipe hoses only between live and dead units.
c. Uncoupling dead locomotive.
(1) Set handbrake (8) on dead locomotive.
(2) Uncouple (para 2-19).