3-23. CRANKING CONTACTOR (cont)
CLEANING, INSPECTION, AND REPAIR (cont)
16. Inspect and repair components as follows:
Arc chute (7). Inspect arc chute and replace plates that are broken or burned three/fourths through. Replace if
burned close to the screws.
Do not use sandpaper or emery cloth to dress tips.
Inspect stationary contact tip (11)
and movable contact tip (21).
Replace if worn down 3/32 inch -
(23.38 mm). Replace silver tips if
silver is worn through.
c. Contact lever (39).
(1) Inspect the bushings. If the
inside diameter is worn beyond
0.32 inch (8.12 mm), replace
(2) Inspect the hinge pin. Replace
the pin if scored or burned.
Shunt (24). Inspect the braided
copper for wear, fraying,
discoloration, or stiffness. Replace
the shunt if any of the above
e. Operating coil (51).
(1) Use a multimeter and check coil resistance. Replace the coil if the measured value is not between 5.76
and 7.04 ohms.
Check the coil terminals for damage.
(3) Check the coil for damaged, dry, or brittle insulation. If necessary, insulate by applying red insulating
varnish. Replace coil if necessary.