3-37. MAIN GENERATOR (cont)
If repair of main generator is limited to
resurfacing commutator, refer to step 24f
2. Unlatch two latches (1) and remove covers (2).
Install lifting eye (3) in hole provided in main
3. Remove four capscrews (4), lockwashers (5), clamp
(6), and two screens (7). Position lines (8) out of the
4. Use a punch and punch-mark main generator and
engine coupling halves. Reach through large hole
in engine bell housing, cut lockwire, and remove
eight nuts (9), lockwashers (10), and capscrews
5. Place cardboard shims between generator armature
pole pieces. Remove 16 capscrews (12) and
lockwashers (13). Position ground cable (14), out of
6. Tag and disconnect electrical leads from main generator.
7. Remove two cotter pins (15), castle nuts (16), flat washers (17), lower pads (18), and capscrews (19).
Components of the main generator are heavy and may be awkward
to handle. Use correct lifting procedures, indicated lifting devices,
and/or assistance from other personnel to avoid injury.
8. Use a suitable lifting device and move generator toward cab slowly, lift generator from base, and set on a suitable
support device in horizontal position.
9. Remove two upper pads (20). Retain pads for installation.