3-64. TRACTION MOTOR ASSEMBLY (cont)
54. Install six lockwashers (27) and capscrews (26). Tighten capscrews evenly. Remove the two guide bolt and install
remaining lockwashers and capscrews.
55. Remove insulating paper from commutator. Position four clamps (24) and brush holders (25) in motor housing (42)
and install four lockwashers (23) and capscrews (22). Adjust brush holders to 1/16-inch (1.5 mm) clearance from
commutator. Connect brush holder electrical leads and remove tags. Install two covers (21).
56. Position wire bracket (20) and clamp (19) and install four lockwashers (18) and capscrews (17).
57. Install brushes in four brush holders (25) and adjust for proper spring pressure. Refer to TM 55-2210-224-12.
58. Place motor (7) on floor in a vertical position supported on the motor-nose suspension and a suitable support device.
Heated parts may cause injury to personnel if hand protection is not worn when handling. Wear
protective gloves for maximum protection.
59. Place fan (16) on an induction heater. Heat fan to 356
°F (180°C) above shaft temperature of armature (37).
60. Remove fan (16) from heater and install tight against armature head. Hold in place until cooled.
61. Place spacer (15) and inner bearing race (14) on an induction heater. Heat parts to 248
62. Remove spacer (15) and inner bearing race (14) from heater and install on hypoid pinion (13). Check that spacer is
tight against pinion hub. Hold in place until cooled.