3-64. TRACTION MOTOR ASSEMBLY (cont)
66. Press hypoid pinion (13) into armature shaft by tightening pressure bolt.
Do not mistake inner bearing race for shoulder on hypoid-pinion shaft when checking contact
between pinion shoulder and armature shaft.
67. Check seating of hypoid pinion (13) and armature shaft with 0.0015-inch (0.038 mm) feeler gage to make sure
shoulder on pinion shaft is tight against armature shaft.
68. Remove assembly tool and recheck the seating.
69. Install lockwasher (10) and bolt (11). Bend
lockwasher to fit flat part of bolt.
Heated parts may cause injury to
personnel if hand protection is not worn
when handling. Wear protective gloves
for maximum protection.
70. Place oil slinger (12) on an induction heater. Heat
slinger to 356°F (180°C).
71. Remove oil slinger (12) from heater and install on
shaft of armature (37), over threads and tight against
head of armature Hold in place until cooled.
72. Install motor (7) on gear unit (8) by the following:
a. Place gear box assembly on bench, inverted from normal position on truck. Remove motor lifting bracket (9).
Components of the traction motor are heavy and may be awkward to handle. Use correct lifting
procedures, indicated lifting devices, and/or assistance from other personnel to avoid injury.
b. Place a sling around motor (7). Use a suitable lifting device and lift motor level with gear unit (8).