3-65. WHEEL (cont)
b. Install 30-ton (27.1 metric ton)
jack (2) on each side under roller bearing axle assembly and raise axle until wheel
clear rail (3) by 1 inch (25.4 mm).
c. Disconnect traction motor leads from locomotive.
d. Connect traction motor leads to welder as shown
e. Install wheel turning machine (4) on rail in front of
wheel (5) and lock in place.
f. Install adjusting poles (6) from opposite rail to
machine edge and adjust to hold spread; then
g. Start rotation of wheel and engage wheel turning
machine with wheel. Turn wheel in accordance
with FRA regulations.
3. After wheels are turned, disconnect traction motor
leads from welder.
4. Connect traction motor leads to locomotive and tape
5. Remove adjusting poles (6) and wheel turning
machine (4) from wheel (5) and rail (3).
6. Lower jack (2) and remove from locomotive.
7. Remove two blocks (1) from between bearings and
8. Inspect wheels in accordance with TM 55-2210-224-