4-12. INDEPENDENT BRAKE VALVE (cont)
33. Assemble exhaust valve seat assembly (11) by the following:
Install O-ring (16) on exhaust valve seat (15).
b. Install exhaust valve seat (15) on diaphragm (14) and follower (13) and secure with nut (12).
34. Install exhaust valve seat assembly
(11) in quick-release valve body (3). Check that exhaust valve spring (17) is
positioned in bore of exhaust valve seat (15).
35. Install regulating valve spring (10) over nut (12).
36. Install spring seat (9) on end of regulating valve spring (10).
37. Install spring housing (8) on quick-release valve body (3) and secure with four nuts (7). Turn adjusting screw (6)
38. Check that cam (5) is in RELEASE position. Install handle assembly (1) in slot of cam.
39. Pull back on handle retaining pin assembly (23) and check that full travel of handle is into cam. Release handle
retaining pin assembly. TEST
40. Test the independent brake valve in accordance with New York Air Brake Company Test Specification T-2403-C.
The independent brake valve function as follows:
Make adjustment of delivery pressure at the adjusting screw on the control spring housing. If a higher pressure is
desired, increase the compression on the spring so that a higher delivery pressure will be required to lap the
valve portion. If a lower pressure is desired, decrease the compression on the spring so that a lower delivery
pressure will be required to lap the valve portion.
b. The independent brake valve shall function as follows:
(1) The independent brake valve has two positions: RELEASE and FULL APPLICATION.
(2) When the handle is moved from RELEASE position toward FULL APPLICATION position, the valve
functions as follows:
(a) The valve handle actuate a cam which, in turn, positions a supply and ex
haust valve assembly, first to
seat the exhaust valve and then to unseat the supply seat.
(b) Main reservoir air will flow past the unseated supply valve from port 30 to port 20. Port 20 from the
brake valve is connected to port No. 2a on the 6-NFR distributing valve via the No. 24-A double check